PSY 355 Psychology & Media in the Digital Age
This page was last modified on April 11, 2021
Digital Abstinence: Some Consideration of What is Happening
What happens when digital technology is taken away?
- How do we feel?
- How do we cope?
Four perspectives from Psychology on Going Without Digital Media
1. Extended Self Hypothesis: Everyday objects become intimate parts of who we are
2. Psychological Dynamic of the FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)
3. Attachment Hypothesis: Portable digital devices, esp. cellphones, become "attachment objects"
- Essential need in childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood are relationships with others
4. Addiction Hypothesis: Repeated use of digital media can lead to addiction and, therefore, tolerance & withdrawal symptoms