Group Work on The Coming of Lilith
Note: If you were not in class for this group exercise, please
complete it as a written exercise and turn it in as soon as you can.
- After dividing into small groups, let each group discuss the
1. Try to explain what is going on in Plaskow's Jewish identity being
strengthened by her experience in a Christian-dominated institution.
How does this relate to her discovery of feminism in a traditional
Jewish context? Why do you think she discusses these in the same
paragraph? (pp. 9-10)
2. What was Plaskow's experience of using difference as a source of
power and growth in a community? What does this suggest to you?
3. What happened in 1982? What did this lead Plaskow to call into
- 4. What is the problem discussed in the paragraph that begins on
the bottom of p. 53? What response to this challenge does Plaskow
recommend? What do you think of this?
5. What kind of problem and solution regarding projection are being
discussed on pp. 63-64? What do you think of this?
- Michael Kagan
Philosophies of Judaism
Philsophies of Judaism Materials
Back to Kagan's