Questions on Marilyn Frye, "Oppression"
1) Why does Frye argue against a broad definition of oppression? What problems does she envision if oppressors can also be viewed as oppressed?
2) What is Frye’s definition of oppression? How does this differ from Haney's? Discuss the merits/problems of each.
3) What is Frye’s idea of the "double-bind"? Use an original example (a real experience or hypothetical) to illustrate this problem.
4) Why/how is "the birdcage" an important analogy for Frye’s argument? Come up with an example that illustrates this.
5) How does Frye explain the fact that many people do not consider ‘woman" to be a category of oppressed people? Discuss why you agree or disagree.