HISTORY 361 MID-TERM EXAM STUDY QUESTIONS
1. What were the main accomplishments of the Kievan Russian state prior to 1054? How do you account for the decline of Kievan Rus after 1054? Explain.
2. Describe and discuss the impact of the Mongols on Russia from 1223 to 1480. How did the Mongols gain and maintain control over the Russians, and how the Russians finally free themselves from the Tatar yoke. Explain.
3. During the period 1300 1505, Moscow emerged as the dominant Russian city and the "gatherer of Russian lands." Discuss and explain the circumstances and tactics that made this possible.
4. The Russian Orthodox Church played a central role in the rise of Moscow. Using specific examples, describe and discuss the relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the leaders of the Muscovite state from 1324 to 1533.
5. Describe and evaluate the main accomplishments and failures of Tsar Ivan IV ("the Terrible"). In what ways did his reign benefit Russia, and in what ways did his reign harm Russia? Explain.
6. Describe and explain the origins, events, and impacts of the Time of Troubles. How did Tsar Michael and his father restore Russian stability?
7. Discuss the origins of the Cossacks and their impacts on Russia, from the reign of Tsar Ivan IV through the Time of Troubles and the first two Romanovs.
8. Explain the Russian Orthodox notion of Moscow as the Third Rome. How did Moscow get its own patriarch, and what role did the patriarchs play in Muscovite affairs between 1589 and 1667? What were the causes and impacts of the Russian church schism?
9. Discuss the diversity of early Russian culture and society,
identifying and explaining the importance of: the Russian Chronicles, Russkaia
Pravda, The Lay of the Host of Igor, Saint George's Day, pomeshchie, krugovaia
poruka, holy fools, and Andrei Rublev.