Last updated: 9/12/04
Here is a sample quiz to help you undestand the kinds of questions I may ask on a quiz.
1. The diagram of the neuron above contains five (5) numbered parts. Fill in the numbered blank spaces below with the names of the corresponding part.
2.The "rule" that once a neuron begins to fire (that is, generate an action potential), the electrical charge will propagate all the way to the end of the neuron is called the ___________________________ Law.
3. When a neuron is not doing anything, it carries an electrical charge called a(n) _________________ with a value of ________ millivolts.
A. inactive potential; -500 C. resting potential; + 50 B. resting potential; -70 D. inactive battery charge; -70
4. When neurotransmitter molecules attach to postsynaptic receptor sites, what happens?
A. They cause an increase in the voltage of the nearby postsynaptic membrane area.
B. They cause a decrease in the voltage of the nearby postsynaptic membrane area.
C. They may cause either an increase or decrease in the voltage of the nearby postsynaptic membrane area.
D. They cause the postsynaptic neuron to generate an action potential.
5. If you wanted to create an effective nerve gas which would cause someone to stop breathing, which of these neurotransmitter sites would you probably try to have an effect on?
A. Acetylcholine (Ach) C. Dopamine (DA) B. Norepinepherine D. Serotonin
6. Imagine that you are by yourself at night walking down a deserted street. You see a stranger walking toward you about 100 feet ahead and he appears to have a knife in his hand. What would Walter Cannon say happens to you vis-à-vis your nervous system? Be specific. (2 pts.)
7. Listed below are some brain structures. Using the letters associated with each structure, fill in the proper letter of the structure which explains each of the sentences below.
A. Cerebellum B. Medulla C. Thalamus D. Hypothalamus E. Limbic System F. Midbrain
- The truck driver was killed instantly in a crash; the doctor at autopsy said that his breathing had stopped instantly because of damage to his _____________.
- Jackie is an excellent softball pitcher. She shows amazing control of her pitches which a sports doctor once told her meant that she had an excellently functioning _____________.
- Rickie found himself eating all the time because he was always hungry. A biopsychologist suspected that Rickie's __________ might have been operating in a defective manner.
- Fred's mother called to him as he stood in the middle of a crowd of his friends. As soon as he heard her voice, Fred quickly turned around and spotted her. So, Fred's ______ must be intact.