Present:Thomas Curley, Clifford Donn, Alan Fischler (Chair), Charles Kelly, Michael Krause, Kendra Lawton (ex officio), William Rinaman, Marcia Ruwe
1. The Committee welcomed Kendra Lawton as a student representative to participate in the meetings of the Committee.
2. Professor Fischler introduced a new proposal to establish shared faculty positions. Its priority will be established in a subsequent meeting of the committee.
3. After some minor discussion, the minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved.
4. Professor Fischler’s concerns about the manner in which the Physical Education proposal was handled by the Executive Board of the Faculty Senate were discussed. The main area of concern was the lack of meaningful discussion of the merits of the committee’s proposal by the Executive Board. After some discussion the following resolution was proposed.
Resolved, that the ARPP Committee’s resolution on abolishing the Physical Education requirement failed to receive adequate consideration from the Executive Board; and4.1 Subsequent discussion showed that one member of the committee had concerns about the inclusion of the final paragraph in the resolution.
That, such consideration ought to be given, and can still be achieved by a vote on the part of the Executive Board to reconsider the ARPP proposal, followed by a substantial discussion of its merits; and
That, if such consideration is not forthcoming, ARPP will interpret this to mean that its deliberations have little value to the Executive Board, and will consider suspending deliberations on all remaining items on its agenda.
4.2 The Committee voted 5 to 1 in favor of the resolution.
5. Professor Kelly made a request for the Spring, 1998, traveling schedule of the various athletic teams. He also made a request for the feasibility study regarding a 3-3 faculty teaching work load called for in the April, 1996, resolution of the Executive Board of the Faculty Senate.
6. The Committee’s next meeting is scheduled for Monday, February, 9, 1998 at 2:30 P.M. in the Continuous Learning Conference Room. The proposal for a Le Moyne College Faculty Development Program will be discussed.
William C. Rinaman