Present: Thomas Curley, Clifford Donn, Alan Fischler (Chair), Charles Kelly, Michael Krause, William Rinaman, Marcia Ruwe (Academic Dean), Deborah Tooker
1. After some minor corrections were made, the proposed minutes of the October 22nd meeting were unanimously approved.
2. Professor Fischler reported that the Committee's resolution with regard to the Physical Education (PE) requirement was on the agenda of the Senate's Executive Board which would be meeting later in the afternoon.
2.1 Dr. Ruwe expressed some concerns about the equity of the resolution the Committee had passed at its last meeting. See noted that she had not routinely waived the PE requirements and in fact had written to members of the Class of 1998 reminding those that had not fulfilled their requirements of the necessity of doing so during the Spring 1998 semester. The Dean also noted that contrary to the Committee's resolution only one mini-course has been scheduled for next semester.
2.2 Members of the Committee recommended that Professor Fischler inform the Executive Board of the Dean's equity concerns. The Dean will propose an amendment which would exempt all classes except the Class of 1998 from the Physical Education requirement.
3. Professor Rinaman's sub-committee is continuing to work on a proposal concerning a "Common Hour".
4. The Committee voted (6 Yeas, 1 Nay, 0 Abstentions) to invite a student representative to participate in its meetings. Professor Fischler will ask President M.K. Collins if non-voting representation by a student on the ARPP Committee is required by the Senate's Constitution and/or By-Laws. Is the Curriculum Committee's structure the model to be followed?
5. The Committee received a document listing the various classrooms and computer labs. The seating capacity of the classrooms and their type were also listed.
In discussion of Professor Tooker's document on "Classroom Space", it emerged that faculty members require both a mechanism by which they can indicate their needs regarding classroom space and a process by which they might obtain a desirable classroom.
The Planning Committee has a sub-committee on space which has done a survey on the classroom situation. The Dean will provide Professor Tooker with a copy. On a motion by Professor Donn, seconded by Professor Curley, the Committee unanimously named Professor Tooker the ARPP representative to the CAPHE Classroom Space Sub-Committee. She will report regularly to the Committee on relevant matters.
6. In preparation for the Committee's discussion of a resolution prohibiting the departure of athletic teams from campus just before Spring break, the Dean will seek from the Director of Athletics the Spring 1998 travel schedule for the various varsity teams.
7. The Committee received a memo from Dean Ruwe asking that the Committee consider mandating a 2.0 GPA minimum graduation requirement for any major.
8. The Committee's next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 3rd, at 2:30 p.m. in the Continuous Learning Conference Room. Professor Glennon's "Proposal for a Le Moyne College Faculty Development Program" will be discussed. Committee members should send Professor Fischler copies of their Spring 1998 schedules before the meeting or bring them to the meeting.
Charles J. Kelly