1. The proposed minutes of the September 24th meeting were unanimously approved.
2. Professor Fischler reported on his conversation with John Consler with regard to the AAUP policy governing the number of hours adjunct faculty are permitted to teach. Apparently, adjunct faculty are to be granted the same rights and privileges due full-time faculty if their teaching loads are equivalent to the minimum hours taught by the full-timers. It is unclear as to whether these hours are to be calculated over a semester or over a full academic year.
3. The Committee received a document from Professor Jacqueline Belfort on re-evaluating the student evaluation process and one from Professor Rinaman on compensation for teaching laboratory courses in the mathematics program.
4. The Committee decided not to consider at this time any proposals on the re-evaluation of the student evaluation of classroom teaching. It is an issue likely to arise when the outcomes assessment process is considered.
The Committee will take up Professor Rinaman's proposal on teaching laboratory courses immediately after it considers a proposal restricting the scheduling of intercollegiate athletic events. (See #8.3 in the September 10th minutes.)
It will consider the matter of teaching loads for adjunct faculty after its deliberations on the proposal for a course load reduction option for first-year advisors (see #8.5 in the September 10th approved minutes).
5. Dr. Ruwe reported that she expects to receive the Athletic Director's proposal on the elimination of the Physical Education requirement in the near future. After it arrives, she will formally present it for the Committee's consideration.
6. Committee members reported on the diverse views of their respective constituencies on the matter of a "Common Hour". The Committee then formally voted (3 Yeas, 1 Nay, 2 Abstentions) that the matter of a "Common Hour" is one worth considering. Professor Rinaman will chair a subcommittee (consisting of faculty volunteers and a student representative in addition to Dr. Ruwe) which will work through various proposals on both the scheduling and purpose of a "Common Hour".
7. The Committee's next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, October 22nd, at 2:30 p.m. in the Continuous Learning Conference Room. Professor Tooker's document on "Classroom Space" will be discussed.
Charles J. Kelly
Page maintained by Inga H. Barnello, email@example.com. Created: 10/23/97 Updated: 10/23/97