Some Group Work on the Tao Te Ching
and the Analects (and Buber's Way of Man)
Break up into small groups. Delegate one or more
members of your group to
(1) prepare a summary of your group's discussion and
(2) make a list of your group's members.
Make sure each member of your group has a copy of your answers (for use on the next quiz).
Discuss your answers to the following questions.
In Book XIII.18 of the Analects we read:
The Governor of She said to Confucius, ‘In our village there is a man nicknamed “Straight Body”. When his father stole a sheep, he gave evidence against him.’ Confucius answered, ‘In our village those who are straight are quite different. Fathers cover up for their sons, and sons cover up for their fathers. Straightness is to be found in such behaviour.’
Compare this to the Tao Te Ching,
Book 1 chapter XXII or chapter XXIV
2. What does Tao Te Ching Book One Book 1 chapter XXII or chapter XXIV teach? Briefly explain one of the these sections.
3. Relying on the group work of 4-29-19, explain how someone could apply at least one of the teachings in Analects XIII.18 along with either or both of Tao Te Ching Book One chapter XXII or Tao Te Ching Book One chapter XXIV. Could anyone in your group apply this to a challenge in their own experience? If not, why not? If so, how so? If you have read Buber's Way of Man, you are welcome to use material from it in your answer.
Le Moyne College
April 29, 2016
Quiz 2, due Monday, May 6, 2019
As indicated on the syllabus, you will have an opportunity to take two short take-home quizzes, which together will count for 50% of your grade, and
These will be handed out at least 4 days before they are due. Late quizzes will receive a 15% grading penalty for each day they are late. Unless otherwise indicated, please complete the quiz in less than 500 words. All work, except in-class writings, is to be typed. Quizzes are to be turned in on the date due with a copy emailed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to the file attachment, please paste the text of your answers into your message. (Syllabus)
You can take this exam alone or as part of a group (please keep group numbers at four or less). If you do this as a group, please turn in one exam with every member's name on it, making sure every member of your group has a copy. When you revise your essay, try to make sure that what you have written demonstrates your knowledge of the texts, lectures, and issues. Clearly indicate your sources, including class notes, and conversations with fellow students.
If you do the exam as a group, for each and every member of the group who is to receive credit for your exam, please indicate that group member's contribution(s). Answer one of the following two questions.
1. Relying on the group work of 4-29-19, explain how someone could apply at least one of the teachings in Analects XIII.18 along with either or both of Tao Te Ching Book One chapter XXII or Tao Te Ching Book One chapter XXIV. Could anyone in your group apply this to a challenge in their own experience? If not, why not? If so, how so? If you have read Buber's Way of Man, you are welcome to use material from it in your answer.
By or before the due date of Monday, May 6, 2019, please bring your exam to class and email a copy of your exam to me at email@example.com.