Group Work on the Tao
Te Ching and the Analects
Break up into small
Delegate one or more members of your group to
(1) prepare a summary of your group's discussion and
(2) make a list of your group's members.
Make sure each member of your group has a copy of your answers (for use on the next quiz).
Discuss your answers to the following questions.
1. Briefly summarize Analects Book VII.11's teaching and state at least one application of that teaching.
2. What does Tao Te Ching Book One:XXIV teach? Briefly
explain its general claim or claims.
3. How could someone apply at least one of the teachings in Tao Te Ching Book One:XXIV ? Could anyone in your group apply it to a challenge in their own experience? If not, why not? If so, how so?
4. Briefly compare, contrast, or explain the relaionship between Tao Te Ching Book One:XXIV and Analects Book VII.11. What do this and other readings in the Analects and Tao Te Ching suggest to you about how to respond to their teachings? If you have read Buber's Way of Man, you are welcome to include it in your answer.